Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Money: a vice and a virtue

Although I was never fully polluted by materialism I was briefly attached to material goods. I must admit in the past I have been mesmerized by the green and I am not the only one! The green which is also known as money is the leafy substance that determines our material wealth.

Money is a gift and a curse. It is a gift in many ways. It can provide people who are devoid of resources with academic opportunities (scholarships, grants, and construction of good schools). It can also salvage a poor soul who is hanging off an economic cliff and is clutching for dear income (unemployment or bankruptcy). In addition money can liberate a homeless person from their misery. On the contrary money can be a toxin. It has the capacity of polluting every dimension of our human existence. It can emotionally drown us, psychologically choke us, socially demonize us, and mentally incapacitate us. Money can only reach these extreme heights if we allow it to.

Money is like a drug it is very addictive. Once you catch a glimpse of it you want more and more. if you want it bad enough you will do whatever it takes to get it, even kill a person! When I got my first paycheck at my first full time job I was in a trance. Honestly I looked at my first paycheck and became attached to it! After I cashed it I watched it closely. Everywhere I went all I could think about was the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment